August 20, 2013
Outrigger Challenge comes to South Shore
Outrigger racing will make its debut on the South Shore this weekend.
The Kawa i’ ulu O’ Tahoe Outrigger Canoe Club will host the first-ever, outrigger-canoe race on the South Shore on Saturday and Sunday at Lakeview Commons Beach.
The weekend will be packed with different paddling races. There will be Polynesian-style, racing canoes and the big Waterman’s Challenge will be going down between 9 a.m. and noon on Saturday. There will also be a fast-paced relay, combining both stand-up paddleboarding and outrigger canoe laps all within spectator distance of Lake View Commons Beach. Long-distance races to the East Shore will also launch from Lakeview beach Saturday afternoon. A long-distance race will take paddlers to Meeks Bay and back on Sunday. Teams will be coming from all across California to participate, and as far away as Canada.
Junior hockey team formed
Some extra blue will be added to Lake Tahoe this fall.
The newly formed Lake Tahoe Blue hockey club will play their inaugural Junior A hockey season at the South Lake Tahoe Ice Arena, the Tahoe Hockey Partners, LLC announced on Tuesday. Preseason games start Sept. 20 and the regular season starts Oct. 4.
Tahoe Hockey Partners, LLC was formed by Van Oleson and Greg Jamison, who is the former President and Chief Executive Officer of the National Hockey League’s San Jose Sharks.
“Hockey is our passion and we look forward to building a strong team and a strong fan base,” said Jamison. “We believe South Lake Tahoe will be a great hockey town for Lake Tahoe Blue and we are committed to making our team an important and fun part of this community.”
The Lake Tahoe Blue hockey club will join the Pacific Division of the Western Conference of the Western States Hockey League, or WSHL. Season and single game tickets will be available at the Ice Arena and online at http://www.tahoehockey.net. The schedule is not finalized yet.
Bijou golfer gets Hole-in-One
South Shore resident Bob Lane hit the much-celebrated first Hole-in-One of the season on the Bijou Golf Course this past weekend. He knocked in the shot using an eight iron on No. 2, which is 143 yards.
Lake Tahoe Epic Curling
Standings as of Aug. 19
Rick Gardner 34
Terry Poole 30
Michael Lynn 29
Larry Sidney 26
Julie Macan 24
Final league curling of the season takes place on Sunday, Aug. 25, at the South Tahoe Ice Arena.
Compiled by staff
Trending In: Summer Recreation
- Kamm takes the lake: 26-year-old Baltimore man swims Lake Tahoe from west to east
- Record-breaking kokanee hooked in Tahoe waters
- Rock Tahoe Half Marathon returns to South Shore for second year; more than 1,500 race along Lake Tahoe
- Skiing Tahoe in August? Woodward Tahoe making snow all summer long
- Soak it in: Hot springs in the Reno-Tahoe region offer warm respite from winter
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe supporters of Standing Rock host benefit concert; Washoe elders to speak
- Police seeking assistance with hit and run outside Harveys Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe food tampering suspect caught shoplifting dog food at Raley’s last summer
- Stay ‘bear aware’ during winter in the Lake Tahoe region