May 14, 2014
There's a new team coming to Tahoe.
Local Sarah Guzman is holding tryouts for an All-Star cheerleading squad called Tahoe Blue Cheer.
"I'm just really excited. I just want it to be a place for kids to have fun and try a new activity in Tahoe," Guzman said.
Guzman has been involved in competitive cheer for about 15 years and coaching for eight. She noticed a lot of participation and interest at the school level, but no competition team in the area. She got the idea to start a new team from attending her brother's practices, who coaches in Virginia City, and seeing the level of interest in that area. Guzman also hopes to travel to Disneyland for the nationals.
The team, or teams, is for children and teenagers 18 years and younger. Participants will travel the region to attend competitions year-round as well as perform at local events.
The training will combine cheer, dance, tumbling, stunts and strength with one practice per week in the summer starting June 10, increasing to two per week in the fall and winter for one to two hours.
"You're not just cheering for a sport on the sideline, it's a constant workout," Guzman said.
Boys and girls are encouraged to try out on Saturday, May 23 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Reagan Beach in South Lake Tahoe.
Trending In: Sports
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Boaters leaving Lake Tahoe must remove drain plug
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- South Lake Brewing Company celebrates grand opening (photos)
- Motorist hurt after going over side of Kingsbury Grade