Tahoe Fat Tire Festival returns to Squaw Valley
September 12, 2013
Mountain bikers from all over will come to Squaw Valley this weekend for the return of the Tahoe Fat Tire Festival.
“Formerly one of the largest mountain bike events on the west coast, the festival is being brought back by the Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association in an effort to promote recreational trails in the Tahoe area and to fundraise for trail projects,” according to a press release from the ski resort.
The festival will include cross country and downhill mountain bike racing, skill clinics, the Tour de Squaw fun ride, free kids races and a BMX jump show. Squaw Valley will open its bike park and trail network for the three days of the festival, according to the release.
The festival kicks off Sept. 13 with live music from Decoy and an outdoor film festival featuring the U.S. premiere of the mountain bike film “ARRIVAL.” Saturday morning is the cross-country race, which is the final race of the 2013 Sierra Cup Series.
Saturday afternoon includes the free kid’s race, BMX aerial show and live music from Last Stand. Sunday morning kicks off with the Tour de Squaw fun poker ride hosted by the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship followed by music from Jelly Bread. The Nor-Cal State Downhill Championships start at 1 p.m.
All proceeds from the festival will go to TAMBA and the Truckee Bike Park Project to improve local mountain biking opportunities and trail networks.
For more information and to register, visit http://www.tahoefattirefestival.org.
Trending In: Sports
- Biking boost: South Lake Tahoe awarded silver designation as Bicycle Friendly Community, trending in positive direction
- On the rebound: South Tahoe girls b-ball looks to bounce back in 2016-17 season
- Mac the Naw: Still plenty of options for late-season fishing, including Lake Tahoe
- Queen of the halfpipe: South Lake Tahoe native Maddie Bowman dominates the competition on skis — and loves her craft
- Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort expands learning terrain, revamps menu, bids water bottles farewell for 2016-17 season
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe supporters of Standing Rock host benefit concert; Washoe elders to speak
- Police seeking assistance with hit and run outside Harveys Lake Tahoe
- Stay ‘bear aware’ during winter in the Lake Tahoe region
- Lake Tahoe food tampering suspect caught shoplifting dog food at Raley’s last summer