Tahoe Rim Trail Association hosts stargazing trek
April 12, 2013
The Tahoe Rim Trail Association, along with the Tahoe Institute for Natural Science, will highlight Tahoe's night sky on its upcoming snowshoe stargazing trek April 13.
The organization's nighttime trek has become so popular registration filled up not long after the event was posted in January.
"We found that people are really into them," said Tom Rodriguez, TRTA's director of trail use, who's organizing the hike. "We did a meteor shower hike back in December and it was really, really popular, so we decided we wanted to do another astronomy-based program this spring."
Trekkers heading out into Tahoe Meadows for the event will see Orion, the North Star and several other constellations. The hike is two miles through moderately difficult terrain.
TRTA will continue to schedule one or two public hikes a month, focused on varying topics from wildflowers to geology, Rodriguez said. The organization also holds outdoor training workshops, speaker series and volunteer trail days.
Though the April 15 hike's 15 open spots have long been reserved, those interested can still go out for stargazing on their own, Rodriguez said. All you need is a star map for the right time of year, a red flashlight to preserve night vision and a good sense of direction, he added.
"You want to make sure you get to a place where there aren't a lot of lights shining into the sky because that drowns out the lights of the stars," Rodriguez said.
The TRTA is a volunteer, nonprofit organization that has helped plan, construct and maintain the 165-mile Tahoe Rim Trail. For more information on events or to reserve a spot on upcoming TRTA hikes, visit tahoerimtrail.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Still mixed conditions on some Lake Tahoe trails following big winter, mild spring
- Steph Curry joins list of celebrities playing in American Century Championship at Lake Tahoe
- Justin Timberlake to compete in 2017 Lake Tahoe ACC celebrity golf tournament
- CUFA Tahoe soccer tournament kicks off
- Blair O’Neal featured at Lake Tahoe ACC celebrity golf event
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Kayaker reported missing at Lake Tahoe found safe in hotel room
- Ask Tessie: What are the most important rules of beach etiquette in Lake Tahoe?
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life
- Search continues in reduced capacity for missing kayaker at Lake Tahoe