Team Tahoe well represented at Nevada Special Olympics
June 18, 2014
It was another banner year for Team Tahoe, South Lake Tahoe’s Special Olympic delegation, as the swim and track and field teams traveled to the University of Nevada-Reno for the state games.
In all, 17 athletes competed in 57 different events from shot put to the 50-meter breaststroke in the three day Special Olympic Summer Games. After the opening ceremonies held at UNR’s MaCay Stadium on May 30 where the torch was lit by athletes from around Nevada, the competition kicked into gear May 31.
The track team collected eight gold medals with James Langley and Evan Libby each earning two, followed by Jesse and Nick Fiegel, Katelyn Tara and Ryan Wilford with one each. Dennis Lahademe brought home two silver medals and longtime Team Tahoe member Michael Cotter added two silver and a bronze medal for the team.
On the aquatics side Gordon Bonar, Jacqui Gilpin, Justiss Roque and Lindsey Torres took home two gold medals each. Eddie Apodaca collected two silver medals, Carala Macleod earned a gold and silver medal. The swim team’s youngest athlete, Tony Triano, 11, earned gold and bronze medals. In addition, the relay swim team consisting of Macleod, Gilpin, Bonar and Apodaca placed first in their division.
Special Olympics Team Tahoe are currently having softball practices and are in need of coaches and players. For more information please contact Colleen at 530-600-1730.
Trending In: Sports
- South Tahoe football edged by Truckee 21-20 in high-stakes Sierra Bowl
- South Tahoe girls soccer falls behind early, loses 3-2 to rival Truckee under the lights
- TAMBA’s Corral Night Ride brings costumed fun to South Shore trails Saturday
- Tahoe Mountain Milers’ Kokanee, Kirkwood Trail Runs offer challenging courses, benefit local community
- South Tahoe volleyball swept by Dayton at home (photos)