Vikings hold off Fallon again
Ryan Summerlin October 15, 2013
Fallon was looking for a little redemption on South Tahoe’s home turf, but the Vikings wouldn’t give in.
When these two soccer teams met in Fallon in September, the Vikings came away with a 2-1 win. Thursday’s match was a close sequel, and fortunately for South Tahoe with the same ending. The Vikings inched ahead in the first half and held off the Greenwave in the second for a 3-1 Division IA win at South Tahoe Middle School Thursday.
“We played our game,” South Tahoe coach Ben Hannah said. “We changed it up from the last time we played them, and we used the outside of the field. We stretched the field wide, and at the end we got great relief from our bench players.”
South Tahoe’s wide playing style resulted in two through balls to give the Vikings an early edge.
Jesus Martinez picked off the first goal for South Tahoe off an assist from Austin Williams.
Williams then followed up with South Tahoe’s second goal from Derek Caro’s set-up pass.
“We got real tireless work out of Austin Williams up top,” Hannah said, “checking the ball and working really hard.”
South Tahoe expanded its 2-0 lead with a third goal in the final 10 minutes. The Vikings used a four-man assault for the final goal.
Caro took a hard shot on goal, but it ricocheted off the keeper’s hands. Martinez followed up from the other side, but again Fallon’s goalkeeper Brandon Holler shut it down. Jaime Rodriguez tried to head in a goal and Angel Martinez tried to kick one in, but the ball squirted out once again. Finally, Caro sent a resounding shot that found the corner pocket to make it 3-0 Vikings.
Fallon kept persisting, however, and found net before the final whistle.
Fidel Enriquez blasted a free kick toward the goal and Tristen Parrot followed it into net after the ball was deflected.
“I think we had about equal shots,” Fallon coach Nate Waite said. “We had a lot of pressure. Unfortunately, they had those two through balls. When those leak through that’s always going to put the keeper in a bad situation.”
Girls tie in Fallon
The girls’ match in Fallon had its ups and downs Thursday. One of those ups was when South Tahoe took an early 1-0 lead.
Jordyn Dion scored South Tahoe’s lone goal in the first half off an assist from Jensen Smith.
But Fallon quickly tied it 1-1, and the game ended in a tie.
UP NEXT: The girls will travel to Fernley Saturday and Truckee Tuesday. The boys will host Fernley at 1 p.m. Saturday and Truckee at 7 p.m. Monday.
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe Marathon returns to South Shore for 21st year, brings fun to running
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- Slow start costs Whittell football in 36-30 loss to Virginia City
- South Tahoe volleyball hangs with league leading Truckee, falls in four sets
- South Lake Tahoe Warm Room consequences (opinion)
- The Chateau at the Village in South Lake Tahoe sells for $42.5M
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- Letter: Goodbye, old friend
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species