Vikings hold off Fallon again
October 15, 2013
Fallon was looking for a little redemption on South Tahoe's home turf, but the Vikings wouldn't give in.
When these two soccer teams met in Fallon in September, the Vikings came away with a 2-1 win. Thursday's match was a close sequel, and fortunately for South Tahoe with the same ending. The Vikings inched ahead in the first half and held off the Greenwave in the second for a 3-1 Division IA win at South Tahoe Middle School Thursday.
"We played our game," South Tahoe coach Ben Hannah said. "We changed it up from the last time we played them, and we used the outside of the field. We stretched the field wide, and at the end we got great relief from our bench players."
South Tahoe's wide playing style resulted in two through balls to give the Vikings an early edge.
Jesus Martinez picked off the first goal for South Tahoe off an assist from Austin Williams.
Williams then followed up with South Tahoe's second goal from Derek Caro's set-up pass.
Recommended Stories For You
"We got real tireless work out of Austin Williams up top," Hannah said, "checking the ball and working really hard."
South Tahoe expanded its 2-0 lead with a third goal in the final 10 minutes. The Vikings used a four-man assault for the final goal.
Caro took a hard shot on goal, but it ricocheted off the keeper's hands. Martinez followed up from the other side, but again Fallon's goalkeeper Brandon Holler shut it down. Jaime Rodriguez tried to head in a goal and Angel Martinez tried to kick one in, but the ball squirted out once again. Finally, Caro sent a resounding shot that found the corner pocket to make it 3-0 Vikings.
Fallon kept persisting, however, and found net before the final whistle.
Fidel Enriquez blasted a free kick toward the goal and Tristen Parrot followed it into net after the ball was deflected.
"I think we had about equal shots," Fallon coach Nate Waite said. "We had a lot of pressure. Unfortunately, they had those two through balls. When those leak through that's always going to put the keeper in a bad situation."
Girls tie in Fallon
The girls' match in Fallon had its ups and downs Thursday. One of those ups was when South Tahoe took an early 1-0 lead.
Jordyn Dion scored South Tahoe's lone goal in the first half off an assist from Jensen Smith.
But Fallon quickly tied it 1-1, and the game ended in a tie.
UP NEXT: The girls will travel to Fernley Saturday and Truckee Tuesday. The boys will host Fernley at 1 p.m. Saturday and Truckee at 7 p.m. Monday.
South Tahoe soccer
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort opening today
- Lake Tahoe Community College Coyotes fall to Santa Rosa in NorCal quarterfinals
- Die-hard skiers and riders turn out for opening day at Kirkwood Mountain (videos)
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- New attractions set stage for 2017-18 winter at Tahoe resorts
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Where to go in Tahoe if you don’t want to cook a Thanksgiving meal