Warriors lock up state trip
May 9, 2013
Battle Mountain 444
North Tahoe 459
Sierra Lutheran 517
Steven Beeler 83
Derek Heldt-Werle 99
Zoe Bertz 91,
Anders Chaplin 84
Colin Buchholz 99
Spencer Buchholz 102
Lake Tahoe medalists: Whittell’s Steven Beeler and Incline’s Mitchell Cornell.
Three strokes were all that separated the Whittell golf team from a trip to state, but luckily the Warriors were on the winning end.
Only the top three regional teams advance to state, and Whittell locked up that final spot by three strokes on Wednesday. The Warriors snagged third place at the Northern III regional tournament at Ruby View Golf Course on Wednesday. Whittell’s 456 barely edged North Tahoe, which took fourth with 459.
Incline claimed the overall regional title, firing a collective 433, followed by Battle
Mountain in second with 444.
The field for that final state spot was close. Behind North Tahoe, Wells was five strokes off Whittell’s third with a score of 461. Sierra Lutheran notched a 517.
“You look at the team scores and it was just so close,” Wells coach Bob
Woolsey said. “We had a lot of out of bounds penalties, and that’s the difference on the day.”
Whittell’s Steven Beeler led the Warriors with an 83. Anders Chaplin added an 84, Zoe Bertz a 91, Derek Heldt-Werle a 99, Colin Buchholz a 99 and Spencer Buchholz a 102.
The top five golfers from non-qualifying schools also earned state invites. The invites went to Mineral County’s Mavro Viani, Wells’ Cameron Huff, Sage Ridge’s Grant Gabriel, Wells’ Andrew Woolsey, North Tahoe’s Justin Fenley and Sierra Lutheran’s Carson Iverson.
Whittell will host the state tournament at Genoa Lakes Course on Tuesday and Edgewood Golf Course on Wednesday.
Elko Daily Free Press sports editor Martin Harris contributed to this report.
Trending In: Sports
- Queen of the halfpipe: South Lake Tahoe native Maddie Bowman dominates the competition on skis — and loves her craft
- Biking boost: South Lake Tahoe awarded silver designation as Bicycle Friendly Community, trending in positive direction
- Warm up, cool down: Add a routine before and after a day on the mountain for a long, healthy season in the snow
- Whittell boys b-ball looks to continue the culture, defend state championship in 2016-17 season
- South Tahoe boys b-ball aims to contend for league title in 2016-17 season behind talent and experience
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Police seeking assistance with hit and run outside Harveys Lake Tahoe
- In the après-ski spirit: Spots to check out after skiing in the Tahoe Basin
- Stay ‘bear aware’ during winter in the Lake Tahoe region
- Lake Tahoe food tampering suspect caught shoplifting dog food at Raley’s last summer