Whittell High School opens football season Friday in Mammoth
August 25, 2017
The Whittell Warriors will open their football season Friday, Aug. 25 against the Mammoth Huskies at Mammoth Lakes.
The Warriors reached the playoffs last season, losing in the NIAA Class 1A State semifinals, but recorded nine victories in 11 games. They finished second in the 1A Northern-West League.
Whittell head coach Phil Bryant told the Tribune last week that he had a fair number of returning players but still had to decide on his quarterback. The battle was between juniors Trent Dingman and Isaiah Womack.
The Warriors return two of the most prolific running backs in the league in junior Dalton Warswick and senior Corey Huber who rushed for 965 and 714 yards, respectively, last season.
The Warriors will have a week off before hosting Eureka on Friday, Sept. 8 in their home opener. They open league play a week later at Pyramid Lake in Nixon, Nevada.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell football scores 104 in slugfest with Mineral County
- Lake Tahoe Community College women, men soccer teams both in national poll
- Tahoe MedWAR Challenge creating real life wilderness survival skills
- Whittell football hosts Mineral with playoffs in balance
- Vikings football eyes 3rd straight win against Dayton
- Ask Tessie: How do I meet a responsible man in Tahoe?
- Former and current Tahoe residents impacted by Northern California fires
- Gardnerville man killed in head-on collision near Red Lake
- Construction begins on Round Hill Pines Beach Resort
- The latest on California wildfires: Napa Valley school remain closed until Monday