Whittell scores 47 runs in sweep of Hawthorne
April 24, 2005
The Whittell softball team enjoyed its biggest offensive outburst of the season on Saturday in Hawthorne, totaling 47 runs in a sweep of the Serpents in a Northern 2A doubleheader.
All seventeen Warriors recorded an at-bat in the second game, which Whittell won 30-20 in five innings. Behind the solid pitching of Austin Harrington, it won the first game 17-3 in five innings.
Harrington recorded four strikeouts and three walks in the first game, while Ariana Rodriguez, Abby Kingman and Courtney Fields each recorded multi-hit games. Megan Esquivel had a triple and Anna Kingman and Whitney Gielow each hit a double.
In the second game, Abby Kingman pitched the first two innings to record the win on the mound. The Warriors (9-14, 2-2) led 19-7 after the first three innings and coach Lindsay Wines inserted seven new players into the lineup.
Whittell had 18 hits and was led by Katie Komorowski, who went 4 for 4 with two doubles, and Stephanie Betts, who went 3 for 3 with a double. Tara Scaduto, Sasha Silver and Gielow each contributed two hits. Silver and Holly Connelly scored five runs apiece.
Recommended Stories For You
South Tahoe boys earn win over Cougars
The Vikings boys’ team won its third swim meet of the season on Friday with a 115-111 win over Spanish Springs at the Rec Center Pool. The girls lost 164-122.
Individual results will appear in Tuesday’s paper. South Tahoe’s last meet of the season is on Saturday against Galena at 9 a.m. at the Rec Center Pool.
Warriors pick up a pair of forfeit wins
A pair of forfeit victories on Saturday kept Whittell High a half game behind Northern 2A League baseball leader Lovelock.
Hawthorne was unable to field enough players and was forced to forfeit the twin bill to Whittell, which is 6-0 in the Northern 2A and 16-4 overall.
Meanwhile, Lovelock raised its league mark to 7-0 by sweeping Silver Stage 10-0 and 6-1.
The two teams will meet for a doubleheader May 6 at Lampe Park in Gardnerville.
South Tahoe baseball, softball lose to Panthers
The South Tahoe baseball team lost both games of its Sierra Division doubleheader to North Valleys on Saturday in Reno. The Vikings lost 7-1 in the first game and 11-5 in the second game. South Tahoe (7-17 overall, 1-14 division) plays at Truckee on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. and host Whittell in its home opener on Wednesday at Todd Fields.
The South Tahoe softball played its most competitive division games of the season on Saturday at North Valleys in Reno, but the Vikings lost 7-3 in the first game and 8-3 in the second.
No other details on either team were available at press time.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort opening today
- Lake Tahoe Community College Coyotes fall to Santa Rosa in NorCal quarterfinals
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- New attractions set stage for 2017-18 winter at Tahoe resorts
- Heavenly, Northstar push back opening days to Nov. 23; Kirkwood to announce new date
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Where to go in Tahoe if you don’t want to cook a Thanksgiving meal