Whittell softball wins two at JV tournament
April 9, 2015
GARDNERVILLE, Nev. — The Whittell softball team took the field against junior varsity teams from bigger Northern Nevada schools last weekend for a mid-season tune-up. The Warriors won two out of five games in the Nicole Snyder Memorial Tournament at Stodick Park, with wins over Wooster and Lowry.
Whittell opened tournament play with a 13-2 win over Wooster last Friday. In its second game of the day, the Warriors lost 16-1 to eventual champion Douglas (Minden, Nev.).
The Warriors led off the second day of the tournament with a 9-8 win over Lowry last Saturday. Whittell then dropped its next two games to finish 2-3 — a 12-1 loss to Reed (Sparks, Nev.) and a 9-4 defeat against McQueen (Reno, Nev.).
Kelsey Kjer threw nearly four games for Whittell in the tournament, with Madison Idso starting against Douglas. Kaitlyn Kjer also threw .2 innings, making her first appearance in the circle for the Warriors this season.
Because Whittell played against JV teams at last weekend's tournament, the results aren't included in its season record. The Warriors (7-7, 4-4 IV Northern) return to league action on the road Saturday, April 18 for a doubleheader against Carlin starting at 10 a.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort opening today
- Die-hard skiers and riders turn out for opening day at Kirkwood Mountain (videos)
- Lake Tahoe Community College Coyotes fall to Santa Rosa in NorCal quarterfinals
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- New attractions set stage for 2017-18 winter at Tahoe resorts
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Where to go in Tahoe if you don’t want to cook a Thanksgiving meal