Whittell tops Sierra Lutheran
January 31, 2014
The first-place Warriors took on second-place Sierra Lutheran Tuesday night in front of a full house at Whittell High School and both teams were well represented.
The Falcons took an early lead, but the Warriors came back and ended the first quarter in front 20-8.
In the second quarter, Whittell maintained a comfortable lead and went into halftime with a score of 31-24. With about two minutes left in the half, assistant coach Matt Bryant was issued two technical fouls after words with a referee and left the game.
When asked about the calls, head coach Phil Bryant said, "We're not going to dwell on that too much."
The Warriors stayed in control of the game through the third and fourth quarters. The Falcons hit a string of three pointers late in the fourth, but couldn't pull off a comeback as Whittell went on to win 69-56.
"We were shaky in the first half, but once we calmed down I think we stepped it up," said sophomore caption Palmer Chaplin who led all scorers with 27 points.
Bryant is proud of the team for coming back on the season.
"It gives us control of our own destiny," he says.
The team travels to Nixon, Nev., on Saturday to play Pyramid Lake who issued the Warriors one of their three losses on the season.
Trending In: Sports
- Which Lake Tahoe golf courses are open for play?
- Lake Tahoe ascends as rock climbing destination
- Hike around Lake Tahoe: Most backcountry trails still covered with ‘a lot of snow’
- South Tahoe softball ends season at NIAA 3A regional tournament
- Whittell, South Tahoe track teams to compete at NIAA state tournament
- Lake Tahoe water board orders further study, cleanup of contaminated groundwater
- Reforestation begins after Emerald Fire; cause of burn released
- 2 found dead in plane wreckage under snow in California
- Ribaudo column: Housing in Tahoe — ‘like a bad toothache that doesn’t go away’
- Motorist airlifted to hospital after going over side of Kingsbury Grade