Mancuso ‘taking a short break’ from World Cup
December 30, 2013
Off to a poor start during pre-Olympics races, U.S. ski racer Julia Mancuso says she's "taking a short break at home."
Mancuso has won three Olympic medals but has only one top-15 finish through 10 World Cup races this season leading up to the Sochi Games, which begin Feb. 7.
In a Facebook posting Monday, Mancuso says, "You learn the most when things don't go as planned."
She says she wants to have time off "to change my perspective, hit the recharge button, explore some equipment issues with my intuition, and most of all have fun with my friends and family."
The 29-year-old Mancuso, who is from Squaw Valley, Calif., won a gold medal in giant slalom at the 2006 Olympics, and silvers in downhill and super-combined in 2010.
Trending In: Winter Recreation
- Lake Tahoe’s South Shore ski resorts prep for powder, large crowds on Presidents Day weekend
- Lake Tahoe, California ski resorts see record snowfall
- Lowest Tahoe Local, Tahoe Value pass prices for 2016-17 season at Heavenly, Kirkwood, Northstar available through Labor Day
- Sierra-at-Tahoe offers nearly half-price lift tickets for Snowsports Week
- USASA South Tahoe Series concludes with rain-soaked rail jam at Sierra-at-Tahoe