Masters hit the slopes at Heavenly
January 16, 2014
Gaetano DeMattei raced down the World Cup slalom run at Heavenly Mountain Resort on Friday.
The 84-year-old Squaw Valley resident was the oldest of 65 skiers in the Far West Masters Classic.
A lifelong skier, DeMattei described his run through the slalom as lousy.
"I have more fun when I do a good run," he said. "But it's a lot of fun. It's kind of a family sport, a reunion, meet old friends."
People lined up to make their runs down the slalom course.
They ranged in age from their mid-20s up into their 60s, 70s and even 80s and traveled to Heavenly Mountain Resort from all over California for the race.
"It's all people out here having a good time," said Mark Mirviss, president of Far West masters.
"We always encourage more people to come out and give us a try and see if they like it."
Far West Masters holds adult ski races throughout California, Nevada and Arizona.
Mike Allen, director of skier services at Heavenly Mountain Resort, was glad to see the group out for a good day on the slopes.
"We love having the racers here. The race community is something we're dedicated to. We've got another two races this weekend for the Tahoe League, so we'll have over 250 athletes here each day, same hill," Allen said.
"We're really excited to have the Masters here and we look forward to seeing them back next year."
Trending In: Winter Recreation
- Lake Tahoe, California ski resorts see record snowfall
- How long will ski season run at Lake Tahoe resorts?
- Lowest Tahoe Local, Tahoe Value pass prices for 2016-17 season at Heavenly, Kirkwood, Northstar available through Labor Day
- Skibiking? Early life experience fuels former South Lake Tahoe resident’s passion
- Kirkwood’s race team shows up across the board
- Bear activity picking up around Lake Tahoe; people urged to be ‘bear aware’
- Gas explosion at Kirkwood Mountain
- Marina fee increase forces cancellation of 2017 South Tahoe Wooden Boat Classic
- Indian restaurant hidden in a liquor store gains following in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter weather advisory in effect through Saturday morning