Sierra freeskiers take top spots at USASA Nationals
April 23, 2013
The South Shore was well represented by freeskiers from Sierra-at-Tahoe, Heavenly and Kirkwood at the USASA Nationals earlier this month.
After a week of Snowboard Nationals, the South Shore skiers got their turn and were ready to shine in the National spotlight that was aimed at Copper Mountain, Colo., April 6-9.
Jasper Donley and Alec Bowman represented Sierra-at-Tahoe in the 10-12 and open categories, respectively.
Bowman,16, captured eighth in the halfpipe despite competing against a field of mostly professional skiers. His run included a left cork 900, right 540, left 540, alleyoop flat spin 540, and a left 720.
Donley, 12, started his competition schedule on skiercross, finishing in 10th. On day two, Donley went huge in the halfpipe, but didn't to land a clean run. Bowman moved on to slopestyle where he tied for 21st.
On the third day of competing, Bowman finished 13th in skier cross while Donley finished 35th in slopestyle.
Both Sierra skiers were recognized for their strong skiing and all around versatility in the overall. Donley finished seventh and Bowman won the open division. An overall win is awarded with an invite back for next year's events.
Trending In: Winter Recreation
- Lake Tahoe, California ski resorts see record snowfall
- How long will ski season run at Lake Tahoe resorts?
- Lowest Tahoe Local, Tahoe Value pass prices for 2016-17 season at Heavenly, Kirkwood, Northstar available through Labor Day
- Skibiking? Early life experience fuels former South Lake Tahoe resident’s passion
- Kirkwood’s race team shows up across the board
- Bear activity picking up around Lake Tahoe; people urged to be ‘bear aware’
- Another roof collapses near Lake Tahoe
- Marina fee increase forces cancellation of 2017 South Tahoe Wooden Boat Classic
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter weather advisory in effect through Saturday morning
- Altercation in South Lake Tahoe sends 4 homeless men to hospital, 1 with life threatening injuries