Tips to keep pets safe on July 4
July 5, 2013
Even normally calm pets can panic during the July 4th holidays. It is the No. 1 lost pet day of the year because pets try to flee the piercing noises which scare them and hurt their ears. Please keep them safe this time of year. If you find or lose a pet, call El Dorado County Animal Services at 530-573-7925.
Here's how to keep your pets safe:
1. Check pet ID tag for current information. Update microchip registration.
2. Take a photo of your pet to use in case he or she gets lost.
3. Keep outdoor pets inside during the fireworks. Never take pets to the display.
4. If neighbors set off firecrackers in the days around the holiday, bring your pets inside until all the noise is over.
Recommended Stories For You
5. If your pet whines or cries, use distractions to soothe him or her.
6. Put the radio or TV on regular volume to help mask the strange noises, especially if you are away from home.
7. Keep your pet safe in a room away from the door to prevent them bolting out.
8. If your pet does escape, search immediately. Get neighbors to help. Get the photo out and make a poster to post in your neighborhood. Check with veterinarians.
9. Both Lost and Found pets should be reported immediately to El Dorado County Animal Services at 530-573-7925.
10. Check the animal shelter every day in person. Take your pet photo with you. Your description of your pet might be different than what another person would describe.
For more pet safety information, call the Lake Tahoe Humane Society and Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to animals at 530-542-2857.