West Way fire caused by discarded cigarette | TahoeDailyTribune.com

West Way fire caused by discarded cigarette

Tribune staff report

The fire that ignited Sunday on West Way was caused by a discarded cigarette, the U.S. Forest Service stated Friday.

“A discarded cigarette caused the Gondola Fire 10 years ago, which shows what could have happened if this fire hadn’t been rapidly reported and suppressed,” USFS spokeswoman Cheva Heck stated in an email. “We’d like to remind everyone that, while fall is approaching, the Lake Tahoe Basin remains in high fire danger, and the Forest Service has issued fire restrictions for the lands we manage (75 percent of the land around the lake). In particular, smoking is prohibited in most places on the national forest.”

Go back to article