Kevin MacMillan

Back to: Newsletter
May 28, 2014
Follow Newsletter

3 arrested in accidental shooting that prompted Tahoe school lockdown

KINGS BEACH, Calif. — Three local men were arrested in connection with an accidental shooting that prompted a precautionary elementary school lockdown Wednesday afternoon on Lake Tahoe’s North Shore.

Brandon Lamont Fuller, 19, of Kings Beach, allegedly shot a 22-year-old man at about 1:55 p.m. at the Village Hairstyles salon in the shopping center at 8645 North Lake Blvd. in Kings Beach, Placer County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Alfredo Guitron said.

The shooting may have happened inside the salon, but that’s still not clear, he said.

The victim, who is from Sacramento, was shot in the face or cheek, Guitron said. He was taken to a local hospital before being transported to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno. An update on his condition was unknown as of Thursday.

Detectives detained Fuller near the scene. Guitron said Fuller claimed it was an accident, as did the victim.

After an investigation, two firearms were recovered away from the scene, and Fuller was arrested on suspicion of two charges: negligent discharge of a firearm, an enhancement for great bodily injury; and conspiracy.

Two others suspected to have played a role in covering up the incident were also arrested:

• Aydan Ryker Hamilton, 19, of Kings Beach, on suspicion of evidence tampering and conspiracy.

• Kyle Andrew Faulkner, 22, of Kings Beach, on suspicion of evidence tampering and conspiracy.

The incident prompted a precautionary lockdown of nearby Kings Beach Elementary School, located a few blocks away at 8125 Steelhead Ave. The lockdown was lifted at about 3:30 p.m. once the suspect was detained, the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District said in a news release

“Because of the lockdown, bus service was held up for all lakeside students, and parents were sent a phone message asking them not to go to the school until the lockdown was lifted,” according to the release.

The school was in the middle of dismissal at the time of the lockdown, according to TTUSD, and students were removed from buses and held inside the school under staff supervision.

No students were hurt or in danger.

“The incident ... (was) off campus, but due to the proximity of the incident, law enforcement and district officials wanted to make sure that there was no possibility of students being in harm’s way while the suspect was at large,” according to TTUSD.

According to PCSO, Fuller and Faulkner were still in jail as of Thursday morning. Hamilton was released on bail.

Stories you may be interested in

Tahoe Daily Tribune Updated May 29, 2014 05:53PM Published Jun 2, 2014 09:36AM Copyright 2014 Tahoe Daily Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.