INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — The Incline Village Recreation Center pool will remain closed through September as crews prepare for a renovation originally scheduled to happen next year.
Last week, Incline Village General Improvement District officials estimated the 25-yard-long, 8-lane pool would reopen as early as this Wednesday after it was vandalized sometime overnight on Aug. 12.
An unknown suspect threw a softball-sized rock through a double-pane glass window on the building’s east side, according to a previous report.
The rock and shattered glass entered the water, officials said, and the 226,000-gallon pool had to be drained per Washoe County health code.
“The original proposed reopening had taken into account the draining of the pool, re-filling the water and settling of chemicals,” IVGID spokesman Andrew Baird said in a Wednesday statement. “However, when the pool was drained and the weight of the water removed from the plaster surface of the bottom, blistering and cracking was noticed.”
Because of this, IVGID staff is recommending bumping up a replastering project from the 2014-15 fiscal year to begin next week.
The decision prompted officials to reschedule the next IVGID board of trustees meeting for 10 a.m. Monday at 873 Southwood Blvd.
There, trustees will be asked to approve $95,000 from the district’s reserve budget for the work.
According to the district, $92,000 will be in the form of a contract and 10 percent contingency for Reno-based Adams Pool Specialties to do the work.
The other $3,000 is for staff time.
If trustees OK the contract, work will begin Tuesday, Baird said, allowing the pool to reopen by Oct. 1.
During construction — which will include smaller repairs on walkways, lighting and other areas of the pool — the entire Natatorium (the room housing the pool) will be closed, including the sauna, Baird said.
“A significant advantage of doing this project now is that all classes — except one very early morning aqua-fitness class — and programs have been moved to the Burnt Cedar pool,” he said.
Since the project already was planned to be in the 2014-15 budget, the $95,000 will be reimbursed next year into the district’s reserve budget.
An estimated cost of damages stemming from the vandalism is not known.
“We are continuing to evaluate this and do not have an estimated dollar figure at this time,” Baird said Wednesday.
The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident. Anyone with information can call the sheriff’s office at 775-785-WCSO (9276) or Secret Witness at 775-322-4900.