Lake Tahoe weather: Truckee to declare emergency, more snow coming
January 12, 2017
TRUCKEE, Calif. — The ongoing winter storm has hit the Truckee area so bad that the town of Truckee is expected to declare a state of local emergency Thursday.
Town Council has scheduled a special meeting for 5:45 p.m. Thursday at Truckee Town Hall (10183 Truckee Airport Road) to approve the recommendation from Town Manager Tony Lashbrook.
"The Town Engineering staff has begun to document numerous areas that have experienced damage, including town roads, drainage infrastructure and other facilities. There is a good chance that we won't know the full extent of the damage until the late spring or early summer," according to a memo from Lashbrook.
If council approves the declaration Thursday, it will allow the town to seek California and federal emergency funds "for assistance in repairs caused by this natural disaster."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Carousel
- Highway patrol: Fire closes Kingsbury Grade
- Not headed to Oregon for the total eclipse? Here’s what to know about the partial eclipse in Lake Tahoe
- SnowGlobe, South Lake Tahoe hash out details of potential agreement
- South Lake Tahoe local’s nonprofit confirms $2 million deal with Kenyan government
- Vehicle crash sparked Kingsbury Grade brush fire