Lake Tahoe weather: Truckee to declare emergency, more snow coming
January 12, 2017
TRUCKEE, Calif. — The ongoing winter storm has hit the Truckee area so bad that the town of Truckee is expected to declare a state of local emergency Thursday.
Town Council has scheduled a special meeting for 5:45 p.m. Thursday at Truckee Town Hall (10183 Truckee Airport Road) to approve the recommendation from Town Manager Tony Lashbrook.
"The Town Engineering staff has begun to document numerous areas that have experienced damage, including town roads, drainage infrastructure and other facilities. There is a good chance that we won't know the full extent of the damage until the late spring or early summer," according to a memo from Lashbrook.
If council approves the declaration Thursday, it will allow the town to seek California and federal emergency funds "for assistance in repairs caused by this natural disaster."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Carousel
- Alibi Ale Works Truckee taproom aims to combine comfort with local brews
- Raley’s moving forward with Truckee store
- Community steps in to help Truckee woman after car accident
- Lake Tahoe’s Tyde Music brings life to local wood by creating unique instruments
- Tension over physical education program funding reveals larger problems at Incline Elementary School
- South Lake Tahoe City Council backpedals on VHR ordinance
- Thrill seekers land backflips into Lake Tahoe from 99-foot rope swing (videos)
- Seamstress creates custom interior goods for Lake Tahoe homes
- Douglas County jury finds man innocent in alleged sexual assault at Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Chance of rain Thursday night, snow Friday morning