Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
February 27, 2017
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Authorities on Friday evening identified male snowboarder who died Thursday at the Northstar California resort near Lake Tahoe after apparently falling headfirst into a tree well.
The victim was identified as Michael North, 43, of New Canaan, Connecticut. North died in what Northstar officials called “a serious incident,” according to a statement emailed to the Sierra Sun.
The resort declined to provide any further information when asked by phone Friday morning, including answers to the following questions:
• At about what time did the incident occur?
• What run/area of the resort did it occur?
• Was this an incident of skier error, or was any part of the resort unsafe for riding/skiing yesterday?
• Did the resort operate as normal during and after the incident yesterday? Will it also be fully open today?
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Carousel
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Kayaker reported missing at Lake Tahoe found safe in hotel room
- Ask Tessie: What are the most important rules of beach etiquette in Lake Tahoe?
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life
- Search continues in reduced capacity for missing kayaker at Lake Tahoe