Airplane reported missing near Truckee
April 19, 2017
An airplane that departed from the Tahoe-Truckee Airport on Monday, April 17 has been reported missing.
According to a press release issued by the Civil Air Patrol, the plane departed the Truckee Airport yesterday around 4 p.m. The two people on board were heading for the Petaluma Municipal Airport, but family members say they never arrived.
The CAP, which is an all-volunteer U.S. Air Force Auxiliary, is assisting the Sierra County Sheriff’s Department with the search near Little Truckee Summit in Tahoe National Forest, northwest of the town of Truckee.
Civil Air Patrol Incident Commander Lt. Col. David Boehm said Tuesday afternoon, “We will be flying until sundown. If the aircraft is not located this evening, we plan to resume aerial search operations at sunrise, so long as the weather permits.”
The missing aircraft is equipped with an emergency location transmitter, though as of Tuesday afternoon no signal had been sent. The airplane is a four-sear low wing aircraft, known as a Socata TB-20 Trinidad. It is blue and white with gold trim.
"We want to find them, and we will search as long as we are needed," he said.
The California Highway Patrol is also assisting in the search, according to CAP spokesperson Lt. Col. Crystal Housman.
Amanda Rhoades is a news, environment and business reporter for the Sierra Sun. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-550-2653. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @akrhoades.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Main Headline
- Steamboat Ski Resort acquired by Aspen Skiing Co., KSL Capital Partners
- Tahoe power outage update: West Shore almost 100 percent restored
- Lake Tahoe weather: 7 inches of new snow at Tahoe-area ski resorts
- Prescribed burning around Lake Tahoe may continue Monday
- Widespread power outages on Lake Tahoe’s West Shore
- Lake Tahoe filled to the brim for first time in years (video)
- ‘We are fallen people’: Homeless man stabbed at transit center defends Warm Room
- Lodging tax hike to help bring event center to Tahoe’s Stateline
- Flood advisory for Truckee River flowing out of Lake Tahoe
- Ask Tessie: How do I find housing in South Lake Tahoe?