Crews gain ground on Detwiler Fire but brace for lightning in California
July 25, 2017
The wildfire burning in the Sierra Nevada foothills was 50 percent contained Monday. But the state’s fire protection agency says it could take crews another two weeks to fully surround it.
More evacuated residents were allowed to return to their homes Sunday, but flames continue to threaten about 1,500 structures in Mariposa County. The fire is burning about 35 miles (56 kilometers) west of Yosemite, but the park remains open.
The blaze is one of more than a dozen that have ravaged California in recent weeks.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Main Headline
- South Lake Tahoe City Council backpedals on VHR ordinance
- Thrill seekers land backflips into Lake Tahoe from 99-foot rope swing (videos)
- Seamstress creates custom interior goods for Lake Tahoe homes
- Douglas County jury finds man innocent in alleged sexual assault at Lake Tahoe
- DA releases new video in El Dorado County cold case