Sass elected new mayor; South Lake Tahoe city councilmembers sworn in
December 13, 2016
The South Lake Tahoe city council welcomed two new members and elected former Mayor Pro Tem Austin Sass as the new mayor at the council meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 13.
First-time councilmember Jason Collin and returning councilor Brooke Laine took the oath of office at the beginning of the council meeting, taking the place of retired councilmember Hal Cole and JoAnn Conner, who lost her bid for reelection.
Sass was unanimously elected by the council as the new mayor after two years as mayor pro tem.
"Looking ahead there are many critical issues that council will have to deal with in 2017. I can promise you that today's agenda might be a reflection of what the entire year is going to be like. It's going to be a busy year," said Sass in his first comments as mayor.
"Some of the major issues that this council will to have to deal with over the next year are as follows: labor negotiations, the new rec swim center design and contracting, the long-term vacation home rental policy, the new California cannabis law and how we decide to proceed within the city, better engagement with our community and strengthening the trust that has been weakened as a result of the election and the last year, finishing Champions Plaza, IT investment within our whole organization to make services better, new playfields, affordable and workforce housing, county relationship with regard to 56 acres and senior center, commodities and development rights which are hot in the TRPA right now and the city has a vested interest in, the Greenway, and finally the streets rehabilitation solution."
Former Mayor Wendy David received the majority of votes to become the new mayor pro tem.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Main Headline
- Search ends for small plane missing north of Lake Tahoe
- Steamboat Ski Resort acquired by Aspen Skiing Co., KSL Capital Partners
- Aspen Skico, KSL group to acquire Mammoth Resort properties
- Lake Tahoe weather: 7 inches of new snow at Tahoe-area ski resorts
- Sass elected new mayor; South Lake Tahoe city councilmembers sworn in
- Mexican food, brewery, yoga and more at The Crossing by the Y
- Former Lake Tahoe Humane Society director denies embezzlement allegations
- Tahoe crime recap: Man lights car on fire after taking LSD and being subjected to ‘satanic magic’
- Lake Tahoe filled to the brim for first time in years (video)
- South Lake Tahoe man arrested in high-speed chase that ended in Carson City