ABOVE: Noah Lyle, a sixth-grader at Saint Theresa School, falls out of a cardboard boat at El Dorado Beach on Friday. Several students tested out homemade cardboard boats in the lake after studying buoyancy in their science classes at school. Children in grades five through eight participated in the project and were only allowed to use duct tape, packaging tape and cardboard for the experiment. Once in the water, parents and classmates cheered from the shore as students sat in their boats and tried to paddle. Some boats floated for a while before collapsing or rolling over.
Trending in: South Shore
- After 34 years, Tahoe's Ernie's has new owners
- Six new Tahoe-Truckee restaurants not to miss this summer
- The history behind some of Lake Tahoe's naturist-friendly east shore beaches
- Adventure in Desolation Wilderness comes in many forms
- Increase in high-elevation fires prompting change in Sierra Nevada forest management