South Lake Tahoe Fire Department is offering fall safety tips.
Fall is here and so is the large accumulation of leaves and pine needles. It’s best to clear your roof and gutters now before the snow renders them inaccessible, according to Sallie Ross-Filgo, administrative assistant to the Fire Chief. Turned-on heat tape under a buildup of leaves or needles can start a roof fire. The Refuse Co. will pick up all bagged leaves and pine needles left at the curbside on normal trash pick up days.
“So take a little time now to do some housekeeping and hopefully we won’t be visiting you later,” she said.
It is also time to make sure your chimney is in safe working order, Ross-Filgo said.
The Fire Department responds to numerous chimney fires each year, mainly due to creosote buildup in the chimney flue, she said.
“This type of fire has the potential to extend into your house and do major damage,” she said. “To prevent this from happening, the Fire Department recommends periodic cleaning of your chimney.”