Caltrans: Emergency road repairs on US 50 likely to cause delays
March 1, 2017
Motorists traveling on U.S. 50 between Kyburz and Placerville should expect delays resulting from emergency repairs, Caltrans warned Wednesday.
According to a news release, the highway in Silver Fork between Weber Mill Road and Wildwood Way will be under daytime one-way reversing traffic controls Monday through Saturday. The altered traffic flow is expected to last two weeks, although Caltrans warned it may take longer.
Crews will be installing two new culverts under the highway and clearing a drainage inlet. Work started Wednesday.
Father west on U.S. 50 in Fresh Pond, a section of the second westbound lane will close starting Thursday in order to stabilize the slope off the highway. Crews will work behind a k-rail while working on this four-lane section of the highway, according to Caltrans.
Additional lane closures on Highway 50 in Sierra for emergency repair work. More info: https://t.co/FKhF0XmREk
— Caltrans District 3 (@CaltransDist3) March 1, 2017
Recommended Stories For You
Both repair projects come as crews continue to stabilize the slope near Bridal Veil Falls where a portion of the highway collapsed in late February, following a series of storms that dumped snow in the mountains and rain at lower elevations.
Traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction and will likely remain so for the next several months as workers continues to stabilize the slope off the westbound side, according to Caltrans. They will also be building a new 600-foot retaining wall, which is expected to take several months.
The total cost of the repairs has yet to be determined, but Caltrans District 3 has issued 45 emergency contracts related to 2016-17 major winter storm events at a cost of $63.4 million.
Motorists should check highway conditions before traveling in the mountains by using QuickMap or calling 1-800-427-ROAD.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Trending
- Smoke-filled basin awaits those traveling to Lake Tahoe; nearby wildfires source of smoke
- 1 killed, 1 critical in crash that closed I-80 west of Reno
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite
- Pollock Pines man identified as motorcyclist killed in crash on Spooner Summit
- The latest on California wildfires: Wildfire destroys Schultz home
- Ask Tessie: How do I meet a responsible man in Tahoe?
- Former and current Tahoe residents impacted by Northern California fires
- Construction begins on Round Hill Pines Beach Resort
- Where to view fall foliage — then grab a bite — in Lake Tahoe (video)
- Update on Eldorado National Forest wildfires: Table Fire grows to 250 acres; Ice Fire close to 100% containment