South Lake Tahoe man killed in vehicle-vs-bicycle crash; cause still under investigation
May 17, 2017
An investigation into a fatal vehicle-vs-bicycle crash continues as family and friends prepare to celebrate the life of the South Lake Tahoe man killed in that collision.
Arthur Joseph Heether died Saturday following the crash, the Tribune confirmed Wednesday. He was riding his bike at the time.
The cause of the crash, which occurred near the intersection of Lake Tahoe and Takela boulevards Saturday, remains under investigation, according to Lt. David Stevenson with the South Lake Tahoe Police Department.
Heether was transported by medical personnel, but later pronounced dead.
According to an obituary published in the May 17 edition of the Tahoe Daily Tribune, Heether, or Rocky as he was better known, was a positive person and an intellect who was fascinated by sociology. Originally born in Oakland, he moved to the South Shore in the early '70s, according to the obituary.
"Rocky enjoyed hiking in Desolation Wilderness, skiing and camping. He was an accomplished photographer as seen in his photos from trips to Europe. Sadly, he never saw the photos from his most recent trip. It was always on the 'to do' list."
A remembrance gathering will take place at Lakeview Commons, Friday May 19, at 6 p.m. All are welcome, according to the obituary.
While the cause of the collision is still under investigation, neither alcohol nor other drugs are believed to be a factor. The driver of the vehicle did not suffer any life-threatening injuries.
With warmer weather drawing more people outside and more visitors into town, it's important for motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians to all be aware of their surroundings, said Stevenson.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Trending
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite
- Friends, family remembering Heavenly Mountain Resort ski patroller missing in Mount Rainier National Park
- Lake Tahoe estate hits market for $75 million, highest listing price at Tahoe (video)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter-like conditions and snow returning to Sierra
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail