Drink of the Week: South Lake Brewing Company’s Chunderstruck IPA
January 11, 2018
One of the largest components of Tahoe's nightlife is the mix of countless breweries, bars and restaurants that offer unique drinks difficult to find outside the basin. In our Drink of the Week segment, we'll showcase one type of beer, wine, cocktail — you name it — to try during your stay in the region.
This week's drink is South Lake Brewing Company's all-new Chunderstruck IPA. Settling in at 7.0 percent ABV and 35 IBU, the flavor is reminiscent of the brewery's Fog Nozzle IPA, albeit a little on the stronger side.
"This Northeast-style IPA is brewed with flaked oats, fermented with an expressive yeast and hopped with an avalanche of juicy hops to create a luscious tropical fruit bomb of a beer," states the drink description.
"Notes of stone fruit, bright tangerine and tropical smoothie tomahawk through your palate; finishing with a soft and pillowy mouthfeel."
While the hops (El Dorado, Mosaic, Ekuanot and Mandarina Bavaria) come on strong at first, the fruity aftertaste makes it a drink that's easy to settle into and enjoy.
What makes the Chunderstruck IPA special is not only the fact that it's SLBC's first hazy beverage — it also signifies the brewery's first can release day.
Recommended Stories For You
On Saturday, Jan. 13, the brewery will sell four-packs of both the Chunderstruck and Angora IPAs in 16-ounce cans. Purchases are open to Bär Society members from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., and open to the general public afterward. The cans are only available on-site, so be sure to grab them while you can.
For those who want to see the canning process, swing by the brewery one day prior to release day: Staff will be preparing the cans beginning at 11 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 12.
Can't make it to the event? Chunderstruck will also be available on tap at SLBC starting Saturday, Jan. 13.
The tasting room, located at 1920 Lake Tahoe Blvd., is open Fridays and Saturdays 11 a.m. through midnight, Sundays 11 a.m. through 9 p.m., and Mondays through Thursdays 2-10 p.m. Learn more about the brewery online at http://www.southlakebeer.com.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Country star Luke Bryan playing 2019 Lake Tahoe Summer Concert Series
- Dave Matthews Band 1st confirmed show of 2019 Lake Tahoe Summer Concert Series
- 9 places to day trip close to South Lake Tahoe
- TMZ: Tom Cruise in South Lake Tahoe to film scenes for ‘Top Gun’ sequel
- ‘Modern Family’ season 9 premiere in South Lake Tahoe airs tonight
- Winter storm warning remains in effect at Lake Tahoe; 2 more feet of snow possible
- California Highway Patrol: Travel to Lake Tahoe is not recommended
- Lake Tahoe roads: Chain requirements in effect (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Winter storm warning extended; more snow likely at Lake Tahoe Sunday