Taqueria Jalisco reopens in new Tallac Avenue location
February 21, 2018
After a four-month hiatus, a beloved South Shore taqueria is back in business.
This winter Taqueria Jalisco moved out of the storefront in Pioneer Center where it's operated since opening in 1995. Major renovations at the Harrison Avenue shopping center were necessary after heavy snowfall collapsed a portion of the roof over a former liquor store in January 2017.
The upgrades, however, required Jalisco and other businesses like Port of Subs to temporarily close their doors.
Instead of waiting out the renovations, the family-run business began remodeling a new location directly across the parking lot next to Escobar Training Grounds.
"It wasn't restaurant ready at all," said Claudia Zepeda, who runs the taqueria with her parents Manuel and Delia. "We had to set up a new kitchen and prep room. We're extremely happy with how it turned out."
The family's second restaurant Jalisco Grill, located near Whiskey Dick's Saloon, remained open during this time.
Recommended Stories For You
After being open for just under a week in its new location — and with no formal announcement — the taqueria's regulars are already beginning to filter in for lunch and dinner.
"I think a large part of the reason we've been successful is that we've been so blessed to have such a strong and supportive community that's helped us out throughout the years," said Zepeda. "We're also a very close family and people like to see that."
Though for now the restaurant plans to keep its menu the same — with fresh salsa and food prepared daily — there could be some changes in the future to accompany its new digs, including the addition of breakfast.
Taqueria Jalisco is located at 972 Tallac Ave., in South Lake Tahoe.
Trending In: Food & Drink
- Drink of the Week: Riva Grill’s Trader Vic’s Mai Tai
- Ten Crows BBQ restaurant in South Lake Tahoe under new ownership
- Drink of the Week: Alpina Café’s Pink Flamingo
- Made-to-order ice cream sandwich shop The Baked Bear opens in Heavenly Village
- Outpost Brewing Co. opens on Lake Tahoe South Shore at Basecamp Hotel
- South Lake Tahoe police arrest suspect in possible child sexual assault
- Guest column: VHR ballot initiatives bad for South Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Guest column: Facts behind South Lake Tahoe VHR initiative (opinion)
- South Lake Tahoe City Council asks for report on VHR initiative
- North Lake Tahoe foodies launch small batch sauce company