Taqueria Jalisco reopens in new Tallac Avenue location
February 21, 2018
After a four-month hiatus, a beloved South Shore taqueria is back in business.
This winter Taqueria Jalisco moved out of the storefront in Pioneer Center where it's operated since opening in 1995. Major renovations at the Harrison Avenue shopping center were necessary after heavy snowfall collapsed a portion of the roof over a former liquor store in January 2017.
The upgrades, however, required Jalisco and other businesses like Port of Subs to temporarily close their doors.
Instead of waiting out the renovations, the family-run business began remodeling a new location directly across the parking lot next to Escobar Training Grounds.
"It wasn't restaurant ready at all," said Claudia Zepeda, who runs the taqueria with her parents Manuel and Delia. "We had to set up a new kitchen and prep room. We're extremely happy with how it turned out."
The family's second restaurant Jalisco Grill, located near Whiskey Dick's Saloon, remained open during this time.
Recommended Stories For You
After being open for just under a week in its new location — and with no formal announcement — the taqueria's regulars are already beginning to filter in for lunch and dinner.
"I think a large part of the reason we've been successful is that we've been so blessed to have such a strong and supportive community that's helped us out throughout the years," said Zepeda. "We're also a very close family and people like to see that."
Though for now the restaurant plans to keep its menu the same — with fresh salsa and food prepared daily — there could be some changes in the future to accompany its new digs, including the addition of breakfast.
Taqueria Jalisco is located at 972 Tallac Ave., in South Lake Tahoe.
Trending In: Food & Drink
- Ten Crows BBQ restaurant in South Lake Tahoe under new ownership
- Bagel shop opens inside Blue Angel Café in South Lake Tahoe
- South Lake Tahoe’s Cold Water Brewery celebrates one-year anniversary
- 5 spots to celebrate National Piña Colada Day in South Lake Tahoe
- A ‘Little Philly’ in Tahoe: Authentic cheesesteak restaurant opens on South Shore
- Incline Village man accused of child abuse turns self in, vows to fight ‘false allegation’
- Bank drops attempted takeover of Bijou Shopping Center in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Daily Tribune: Measure T in South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- Leaf peeping at Lake Tahoe: Best spots to view fall foliage
- Removal of sign stirs controversy in race for El Dorado County District 5 supervisor