Barton Hospital provides verified care for traumatic injuries
Barton Hospital is one of four designated Level III trauma centers in California, and the only trauma center in the Lake Tahoe, Truckee and Carson Valley regions. Below are six ways this designation strengthens health care in South Tahoe.
1. Trauma care starts when the paramedics arrive. Unlike other hospital facilities, trauma team members (emergency medicine physicians, surgeons, nurses, and lab and x-ray technicians) and facilities (operating rooms and life support equipment) are available 24-hours a day.
2. A trauma center guarantees a team approach to trauma. The trauma team can quickly move a patient through diagnosis and treatment. Personnel work together from arrival through rehabilitation and discharge.
3. Thirty percent of Barton’s emergency visits are trauma-related, illustrating a high community need for trauma services.
4. Injury prevention programs are incorporated into a trauma patient’s treatment plan. Examples: concussion awareness, alcohol prevention outreach, and physical therapy.
5. A trauma center can help reduce life-threatening incidents. Tools like a personalized follow-up plan and community outreach can decrease the number of injuries.
6. Trauma designation is a choice; the hospital must seek it out and earn it. Verified Level III trauma centers meet more than 160 specific criteria established by the American College of Surgeons and Committee on Trauma. Designations require verification visits, education requirements, and a certification procedure.
Healthy Tahoe is a look at health-related topics that shape our community and is made possible through content provided by our sponsors.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
A hernia is a common problem where internal pressure can cause tissue to bulge through a weak spot in the muscle, most commonly in the abdomen or groin area. Family history of hernias or prior…