California company recalls chicken dish over listeria fears
November 15, 2017
HAYWARD, Calif. — A California-based Indian food company has recalled pre-packaged chicken tikka masala products over possible listeria contamination.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said Tuesday that the recalled dishes by Sukhi’s Gourmet Indian Foods have a “use by” date of November 7, 2018. The lot number is 83790.
Hayward-based Sukhi’s shipped the frozen microwaveable products for distribution in California.
Officials say a sample tested positive for listeria on Monday. There have been no reports of any illnesses associated with the items.
Listeria is a bacteria that can cause fever and diarrhea, and more dangerous complications in pregnant women. About 1,600 people are sickened by listeria each year, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Trending In: Healthy Tahoe
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Whittell celebrates Lisa Maloff, football team crushes Smith Valley at new digs
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations
- Traps reignite controversy over Nevada Department of Wildlife bear management
- Re-vamped Apple Hill shuttle gets a test drive