Explaining dangerous radon exposure | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Explaining dangerous radon exposure

Metro Creative

Radon is a colorless, odorless gas that forms naturally when radioactive elements, such as uranium, decay.

These radioactive elements can be found in different amounts in soil and rock throughout the world. Though radon is present outdoors and indoors, it is often present in such small amounts that it does not pose a threat to human health.

However, the American Cancer Society notes that prolonged exposure to high levels of radon can lead to lung cancer.

People who work underground, such as miners, are most likely to be exposed to high levels of radon. People who work in factories where uranium is processed or those who come in contact with phosphate fertilizers are more likely to be exposed to high, and potentially dangerous, levels of radon.

Support Local Journalism

Building materials made from substances that contain radon also can lead to unhealthy levels of radon exposure. However, such substances, which the ACS notes include concrete and wallboard, often give off very low levels of radon.


Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.