Your smile can age you
December 27, 2017
We place more focus on our appearance and looking more youthful as we age. We exercise, eat right, use sunscreen, dye our hair, and undergo cosmetic procedures. But what about your smile?
Sierra Smiles Tahoe wants every patient to be confident with their appearance at every age. We're dedicated to helping with one very important feature — your smile. When it comes to your smile, there are some things that can age you. Here are some common concerns we hear and solutions:
Whether you love coffee or red wine these kinds of drinks and some foods can cause tooth discoloration. This can make people subconsciously tack years onto your age. Consider professional tooth whitening for an extra bright boost! Gum Recession
When gums recede, more of the tooth becomes visible, making it look longer. Unfortunately, longer teeth are also associated with a higher age. Gum recession is caused by rough brushing, grinding, gum disease, or even genetics. If caught early, a simple change in your brushing technique may be enough. If it's more progressed, a deeper cleaning called scaling and root planing may work.
Recommended Stories For You
When teeth are missing, they may be replaced with a denture or partial. Both are great options to get your smile functioning again. But sometimes, an ill-fitting denture or a long time spent without one can cause drooping facial muscles. When your jaw bone isn't stimulated through forces like chewing, it can deteriorate, causing facial muscles like the chin to sink and an older appearance. Make sure your denture provides proper bone stimulation or consider permanent dental implants as a replacement.
If you're concerned about your smile's appearance, call our Tahoe dental office to schedule an appointment and discuss your smile goals.
Healthy Tahoe is a look at health-related topics that shape our community and is made possible through content provided by our sponsors.
Trending In: Healthy Tahoe
- California wildfires threaten the health of young and old
- Don’t let alcohol ruin your summer fun at Lake Tahoe
- Take back your life: Pain management through nutrition and gut health — part 2
- Put the flu shot on your back-to-school checklist
- Advances in dental technology make implants safer than ever Copy
- El Dorado sheriff deputy shoots into car to free trapped bear in South Lake Tahoe (video)
- Fight against Lake Tahoe’s invasive species goes to the mat
- Submersible extends law enforcement’s search area below Lake Tahoe surface
- Lake Tahoe Community College opens Lisa Maloff University Center
- Historic Lake Tahoe home sells for $10 million