49ers consider different offer to Crabtree
SANTA CLARA – Coach Mike Singletary said Monday the San Francisco 49ers have discussed changing their offer to top draft pick Michael Crabtree.
Whether the franchise has reached out to the former Texas Tech star formally, Singletary wasn’t sure. He has asked the brass to keep him completely out of it so he can focus on the 53 players he has on the active roster.
“At this time in the year, that may be the case,” Singletary said of making a new offer. “At this point, the whole Crabtree thing, it’s over there. I’m focused over here.”
The 49ers beat the reigning NFC champion Arizona Cardinals 20-16 on Sunday.
Crabtree, the 10th overall pick in April’s draft who turned 22 on Monday, hasn’t accepted the 49ers’ offer for approximately five years and $20 million with a reported $16 million guaranteed – instead seeking money comparable to the higher picks.
Oakland Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the No. 7 choice, signed a five-year contract that will guarantee him at least $23.5 million.
Jacksonville Jaguars top pick Eugene Monroe, taken eighth overall, signed a five-year, $25 million contract that includes $19 million guaranteed.
Twice in the last month, and as recently as Sunday, reports have surfaced that Crabtree would re-enter the draft in 2010 and wait for the money he thinks he deserves.
Crabtree would be way behind if he did join the Niners. He missed key days of development during a rigorous training camp. He also sat out the 49ers’ offseason minicamps and organized team activities while recovering from a foot injury, but was a regular presence at team headquarters for rehabilitation and strengthening workouts.
Crabtree caught 97 passes for 1,165 yards and 19 touchdowns last year during his sophomore season at Texas Tech. He finished his college career with 231 receptions for 3,127 yards and 41 TDs.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
El Dorado County deputies arrested two people on suspicion of grand theft and possession of burglary tools after reportedly finding items linked to catalytic converter thefts in a vehicle during a traffic stop Jan. 13.