Accused sex offender enters plea | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Accused sex offender enters plea

As part of a plea bargain, a 39-year-old from South Lake Tahoe admitted Friday that he committed continuous sexual abuse of a girl under the age of 14.

The agreement also required that Charles Segroves, 39, plead guilty to six other felonies, including unlawful sexual intercourse, lewd and lascivious act with a child under the age of 14 and use of a minor to perform prohibited acts on film.

Segroves could be sentenced to more than 11 years in prison for the crimes, said El Dorado Deputy District Attorney R. Anthony Sears, who took over as prosecutor in the case a month ago when Deputy District Attorney Peter O’Hara began working full time on the Edwin Robert Carlevato case.



Continuous sexual abuse of a child is the most serious charge to which Segroves admitted. It’s considered a violent felony, which is a strike. It also requires Segroves to serve at least 85 percent of his sentence.

“If he gets prison he’ll get eight to 10 years, which means he’ll have to serve at least seven or eight years,” Sears said. “It definitely was not a low-ball offer, but appropriate given all the facts and the evidence.”



Before the plea bargain, Segroves was charged with nine felony counts and one misdemeanor. If he had been convicted on all counts, he could have been sentenced to more than 22 years in prison.

Segrove’s defense lawyer, Oliver Saunders, did not return a call requesting comment Monday.

Sears said Saunders is requesting his client be sentenced only to probation. Segroves is expected to be sentenced March 9.

Sears also said that the 39-year-old could possibly face additional charges in Nevada because evidence suggests crimes were also committed in that state. No charges were filed Monday in Douglas County against Segroves.

Segroves was arrested by South Lake Tahoe police July 9. Prosecutors presented nine video tapes and 86 Polaroids depicting sex acts and sexual images as evidence in a September preliminary hearing.

Testimony at the hearing revealed the girl was 11 or 12 years old when the sexual abuse began.

The videotapes presented were discovered by a girlfriend of Segroves in a car they were sharing. After she played the tape, she notified the victim’s family and other friends of its content. They then told police about the sex tape.

Two detectives stopped Segroves’ car near Stateline July 8 after he finished his shift as a floor employee at Harveys Resort Hotel/Casino. Investigators reported that Segroves allowed them to search his car, which is where detectives found Polaroids and a list requiring sex acts in exchange for money or clothes.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User