Across the Lake: Carbon monoxide gas poisons nine
Nine people staying in one unit at a Tahoe City condo complex were poisoned from Carbon monoxide exposure earlier this week, officials said.
After waking up feeling ill with headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and altered levels of consciousness, all nine patients were transported by ambulance to Tahoe Forest Hospital in Truckee, according to the North Tahoe Fire Protection District.
The source of the carbon monoxide is undetermined at this time, and no carbon monoxide alarm was installed in the unit. The poisoning at the Chinquapi complex happened Monday.
At first the occupants were not aware they had been poisoned by carbon monoxide, but after feeling sick, eventually called 911, said Battalion Chief Dave Ruben of the North Tahoe Fire Protection District.
Such poisonings are often seen in the North Tahoe area, Ruben said. Last year, two fatalities were attributed to the poisonous gas.
“Every winter, typically, we end up transporting people to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning,” Ruben said.
“(A carbon monoxide alarm) is not required by the building or fire codes, but we highly recommend it,” said Ruben. “If you have any gas appliances or a wood stove or anything like that, we highly recommend it.”
Four ambulances, one fire engine and personnel from Southwest Gas were needed to handle the incident. Apparatus and personnel from Truckee Fire Protection District, North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District and Meeks Bay Fire Protection District were also at the scene.
To prevent or catch carbon monoxide poisoning before it develops, the fire district recommended installing at least one carbon monoxide detector near sleeping areas.
They also suggested residents inspect their heating equipment annually to identify damage or malfunction, and make repairs as needed.
If you use a kerosene or gas heater, open a window slightly when the heater is in use. Generators must be used outdoors in well-ventilated areas, never inside the home or garage.
Always move vehicles out of the garage after starting the ignition. Don’t allow snow or anything else block the vents for your dryer, stove or heating equipment.
For further information on carbon monoxide issues contact the North Tahoe Fire District, Division of Fire & Life Safety at (530) 583-6913.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
STATELINE, Nev. — A California man who almost drowned at a Lake Tahoe resort on Monday night has been discharged from the hospital, local emergency management officials said.