Actor sues gaming company over ”Terminator” slots using his voice and likeness
LOS ANGELES (AP) – Arnold Schwarzenegger is suing a gaming company for $20 million for allegedly marketing slot machines that feature his voice and likeness as the ”Terminator” without his consent.
The lawsuit filed Sept. 7 in Superior Court claims International Game Technology did not ask for the action hero’s permission to make the slot machines then advertise them at a convention earlier this year.
The Reno, Nev.-based company has been licensed by Canal Plus in France and Creative Licensing Corp. in Los Angeles to market a ”Terminator” slot machine, according to IGT spokesman Rick Sorensen.
”Since we are very protective of our own property rights, we are extremely cautious of the property rights of others,” Sorensen said. While the slot machine ”might have been in development, it was never released,” he added.
The lawsuit says Schwarzenegger is ”particularly circumspect to avoid using his name, likeness or image for certain industries such as gambling.”
Schwarzenegger has agreed to appear in commercials endorsing the national railway system in Austria and DirecTV in Japan but has turned down numerous offers for other products, said attorney Marty Singer.
”He’s turned down offers as high as $20 million in the United States,” Singer said. ”So if someone uses his likeness for a product without his authorization, then he should get paid a fee commensurate to what he has previously been offered.”
IGT has more than $1 billion in annual sales and manufactures slot machines, video poker and video slot machines.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Standing in the dry, cracked bottom of Lake Mendocino, Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a drought emergency Wednesday in two Northern California counties where grape growers and wineries are major users, an order…