Agencies that specialize in hazardous trees |

Agencies that specialize in hazardous trees

An aging pine tree on the National Forest parcel next door to you has started to lean at a crazy angle, threatening to fall and demolish your house.

Who are you going to call?

In the Tahoe Basin, where preserving the environment has been written into a large body of regulations, the answer isn’t always easy to find.

Because the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency forbids cutting down live trees with a breast-height diameter of 6 inches or greater, residents worried about a potentially hazardous tree are required to have a public forester evaluate its health.

On private property, that means either the California or Nevada departments of forestry. Their decisions can be appealed to the TRPA.

If the hazardous tree is on public land, the agency that owns the land will either make the same determination or enlist the aid of the necessary experts.

— U.S. Forest Service: owns three-fourths of the forest in the Tahoe Basin. Parcels bought with Burton-Santini funds usually marked by a yellow sign on a tree in the middle of the parcel. Call Brian Garrett at 573-2600.

— California Tahoe Conservancy: has purchased a number of environmentally sensitive lots and public-access properties. Call Theresa Talbott at 542-5580.

— California State Parks: the agency has foresters of its own to evaluate potentially dangerous trees on its property. Call Gary Walters at 581-3856.

— City of South Lake Tahoe: will remove dead trees on private properties. Call Larry Klecker at 542-6030.

— Private property and other public land: Call Steve Harcourt at the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, 541-6564. In Nevada, call the Nevada Division of Forestry at (702) 749-5204.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User