And the winners are…
February 4, 2003
Recipients of the Soroptimist International of South Lake Tahoe 2002-2003 Community Service Grants.
1. George Whittell High School
$500 grant will support Grad Night 2003.
2. City of South Lake Tahoe Parks & Recreation Department
$2,400 to support a playground equipment project at the Recreation Complex.
3. SISLT Education Committee
Recommended Stories For You
$24,400 grant will fund scholarship and achievement awards for local students in middle and high schools and Lake Tahoe Community College.
4. Lake Tahoe Unified School District
$2,200 will fund the Primary Intervention Program for young children at risk for emotional problems.
5. Lake Tahoe Reading Council
$600 will fund “Baby Book Bags” at Barton Memorial Hospital.
6. Special Olympics Team Tahoe
$2,000 will support the “Partners in Development” program which allows local athletes to participate in sports.
7. South Tahoe High School
$2,000 will support Naval Junior ROTC leadership activities.
8. South Tahoe High School
$500 will support the Girls’s Golf Team in competitive venues.
9. Court Appointed Special Advocates El Dorado
$1,500 will provide funds for enrichment activities for children involved in the CASA program.
10. Soroptimist International Sierra Nevada Region
$500 will support the Camp Ronald McDonald Amphitheater Project.
11. Tahoe Arts Project
$1,000 grant will support the Missoula Children’s Theater Artist-in-Residence program.
12. South Lake Tahoe Women’s Center
$5,000 will help fund client needs and the emergency shelter program.
13. Lake Tahoe Unified School District
$4,000 will support an elementary school arts program.
14. High Sierra American Softball Association
$2,000 will provide new equipment for the program.
15. Kingsbury Middle School
$2,500 will support the program of “Technology+Inquiry=Good Science.”
16. Kingsbury Middle School
$500 will support the “Reading Counts Quizzes” program.
17. SISLT International Goodwill and Understanding Committee
$1,500 grant will support the “Building Bridges of Love Across the Oceans” Afghanistan project.
18. Tahoe Valley Elementary School
$400 will support a “Before School Reading Buddy” program.
19. Ordinary People Meeting Extraordinary Needs
$2,000 will aid community members with extraordinary medical needs.
20. Ordinary People Meeting Extraordinary Needs
$400 will support “Great Ideas for Tahoe” program.
21. El Dorado County Public Health Department
$1,000 will support the “Great Beginnings Breast Feeding” program.
22. Nevada Women’s History Project
$500 will support the Sarah Winnemucca Statue Project.
23. Girl Scouts of the Sierra Nevada.
$1,500 will provide financial assistance to the Tahoe Shores Service Unit.
24. Christmas Cheer
$1,100 will be used to purchase food and diapers for inadequately housed children.
25. South Tahoe High School Sober Grad Night Task Force
$1,500 will support the 2003 substance-free graduation celebration.
26. Lake Tahoe Community College
$500 will support a youth scholarship program.
27. Soroptimist International of Tahoe Sierra
$1,000 will support the Summer Reading Program.
28. St. Theresa School
$500 will support curriculum improvement for maps and atlases.
29. St. Theresa School
$500 will support the school’s sports program.
30. Tahoe Youth and Family Services
$6,000 will support the “Social Skills Building Self-Esteem” program.