Attorneys contend Clinton administration had improper contacts over ancient bones | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Attorneys contend Clinton administration had improper contacts over ancient bones

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) – Scientists who want to study the ancient skeleton known as Kennewick Man contend the Clinton administration improperly tried to prevent their research to avoid a messy debate over how the first inhabitants of North America arrived.

The government allowed ”inexcusable” contacts between White House staff and members of five American Indian tribes who sought to bury the skeleton, said documents filed in federal court Monday to support the scientists.

The Interior Department decided last year that the nearly complete 9,000-year-old skeleton should be given to the tribes for burial.



A spokeswoman for the Interior Department said the agency will formally respond in court on May 17, the deadline to file a response. But officials say they did nothing wrong.

”We believe all contacts were proper and consistent with statute and administrative practice,” said spokeswoman Stephanie Hanna.




A coalition of five Northwest tribes claimed the skeleton after it was found in 1996 along the shoreline of the Columbia River near Kennewick, Wash. The tribes say Kennewick Man is their ancestor and the bones should be reburied.

But eight prominent scientists from universities and the Smithsonian Institution sued for the right to study the skeleton. The scientists say further study of Kennewick Man could reveal clues about the first humans on the continent.

Attorneys for the scientists say the Interior Department under President Clinton and former Secretary Bruce Babbitt violated ethical standards, alleging officials ”coached the coalition on how to plead its case.”

The scientists argue that the decision to hand over the bones did not meet requirements of the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act because the government cannot prove the bones belong to an ancestor of any living tribe.

Attorneys Alan Schneider and Paula Barran also say the government violated the separation of church and state by using religious tribal beliefs to make critical decisions.

They contend the government accepted tribes’ religious beliefs ”as the ‘truth’ of past events” contrary to scientific information, and started and ended at least one consultation with prayer, conveying ”a message of endorsement.”

Burying the bones would violate the First Amendment, Schneider argues, because ”this skeleton is like a book” that should be made available for study.

”It is not for the government to determine who can read the book and what can be done with the information that can be obtained from it,” Schneider said Wednesday.

The scientists have already argued the Interior Department violated the National Historic Preservation Act when it covered the site where the skeleton was found with 500 tons of rocks and soil, then planted trees and shrubs before anthropologists could conduct further excavation.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News

West Shore trail study meeting scheduled for Monday

|

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — The State Route 89 corridor is one of the most visited and popular destinations within the Lake Tahoe Region. Traffic congestion and year-round visitor demand exceeds current infrastructure during peak…



See more