Authorities investigate stadium collapse; two die of injuries |

Authorities investigate stadium collapse; two die of injuries


SARI, Iran (AP) – Officials on Monday said overcrowding in the stadium was a main cause in the collapse of a grandstand roof during a soccer match, which killed two people and led to riots with police.

As many as 20,000 people were packed into Mottaqi stadium – which has a capacity of 10,000 – at the time of Sunday’s accident in the northeastern town of Sari, the official news agency said. Many fans had climbed onto the fiberglass roof to watch the game when it collapsed under their weight.

”They should not have let so many people into the stadium,” Mostafa Hashemi-Taba, head of Iran’s Physical Education Organization, was quoted as saying by the Islamic Republic News Agency.

After the accident, angry fans clashed with police trying to make their way into the stadium. Fans swung metal poles at police and set fires on the field, and a wall of the stadium was torn down.

Two people died Monday of injuries from the roof collapse and melee, Asghar Samarbakhsh, deputy sports director for Mazandaran province, told The Associated Press.

There were conflicting reports on the number of injured.

Brig. Gen. Morteza Talai, a police commander in the northern Mazandaran province, said 320 were injured. Earlier reports put the number at 355.

A team from the Iranian Soccer Federation arrived in Sari – located 150 miles northeast of Tehran, to conduct an investigation ordered by President Mohammad Khatami.

Provincial media reported that police forces opened fire to disperse rioters. Police would not comment on the reports.

Ahmad Ali Barzegar, the senior doctor on duty at Bu Ali Hospital in Sari, where some of the injured had been rushed, said Monday that several people with bullet wounds had been brought in. He would not elaborate.

Officials in several hospitals in the city said they had been ordered by authorities not to discuss casualties or allow journalists to visit the wards.

One of the spectators, Mehdi Zamanian, said he heard gunfire and saw at least one person wounded in the foot by a bullet. ”I saw a lot of bloodied heads. In the panic and stampede that followed, I heard gunfire,” he said.

But Talai insisted that ”claims of police firing on the crowd are totally baseless.”

”Police did not fire a single bullet,” he told the AP.

Outside the Amir Mazandarini Hospital, the father of one of the dead, Ali Akbar Faraji, 42, along with 25 family members beat their heads and wailed in mourning.

”What a calamity for me and my family to see the death of my beloved son over a soccer match,” said the father, who refused to give his name.

Another victim, Abdollah Kiani, 22, died later Monday of his injuries.

The match pitted one of the country’s most popular soccer teams, Persepolis, and rival Shemooshak of Nowshahr.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.