Barnes, Elkington, Herron to play in RTO
RENO – Ricky Barnes, Steve Elkington, Chris DiMarco and Tim Herron are among the latest golfers to commit to playing next month in the PGA Tour’s 12th annual Reno-Tahoe Open.
Past champions Steve Flesch and Parker McLachlin also intend to play in the $3.5 million tourney July 15-18 at Montreux Golf Course on the edge of the Sierra Nevada.
“Our field of players continues to get better and better with each passing week,” said Jana Smoley, the tournament’s executive director.
“As always, we love to see our past champions return,” she said, “but we’re also very excited to see some of these new up-and-coming names join the field.”
Others committed to play include Rocco Mediate, Pat Perez, Brian Davis, Craig Barlow, Mark Wilson, former Nevada Wolf Pack golfer Charlie Wi and former Reno resident Scott McCarron, who is serving as the tourney’s formal host.
“Between them, they’ve had almost 20 top-10 finishes in 2010 alone, which should make for some great golf at this year’s tournament,” Smoley said about the preliminary field.
Barnes, who first received an exemption to play in Reno as an amateur in 2003, has finished in the top 10 five times this year and is 26th in FedEx Cup points with $1.4 in earnings.
Davis, an Englishman currently in 28th place in FedExCup points, tied for second in Reno in 2008.
Elkington has 10 career victories on tour, including the 1995 PGA Championship. He’s finished in the top 25 the last three years in a row at the Reno-Tahoe Open.
DiMarco finished 26th at Reno last year, his first appearance in the tourney since 2000. The three-time winner on tour is perhaps best known for posting a record of 4-0-1 in the 2005 Presidents Cup, sinking a 13-foot putt to clinch the victory for the United States.
Flesch became the only left-hander golfer to win at Reno in 2007. McLachlin won in 2008.