Bird’s nest ignites structure fire | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Bird’s nest ignites structure fire

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. – Members of the Lake Valley Fire Protection District are advising residents to check light fixtures surrounding their homes after a bird’s nest ignited a structure fire on Wednesday.

At 8:55 p.m. engines from Lake Valley, South Lake Tahoe Fire Department and CalFire responded to the report of a fire at 1172 Canarsee Street in South Lake Tahoe, said Lake Valley spokeswoman Leona Allen in a statement.

Upon arrival, smoke was visible coming from the vents of the residence and firefighters quickly determined that there was a fire in the attic space above the kitchen, Allen said.

Firefighters were able to extinguish it before it spread to the surrounding structures or forest. All occupants were able to exit the residence and no injuries were reported. The fire caused about $75,000 in damage, Allen said.

The cause of the fire has been determined to be a bird’s nest on top of a light fixture which overheated and caught fire, Allen said.

“Residents should check all light fixtures on their homes for any material which may catch on fire,” Allen said. “Lake Valley FPD also recommends that residents use roof vents in their homes that are engineered to prevent fire from being transferred into the combustible attic spaces from outside the structure.”