Blackhawks to match Sharks’ offer for defenseman | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Blackhawks to match Sharks’ offer for defenseman

CHICAGO – The Chicago Blackhawks say they plan to keep 23-year-old restricted free agent defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson.

General manager Stan Bowman said Monday that the Stanley Cup champions will match the four-year, $14 million offer sheet Hjalmarsson signed with the San Jose Sharks last week. Bowman says the team will complete the paperwork in the next couple of days.

Hjalmarsson earned $660,000 last season.



Bowman says the team plans to continue negotiating with restricted free agent goaltender Antti Niemi, who has filed for arbitration.

Since winning their first Stanley Cup in 49 years, the Blackhawks have traded seven players in order to remain on under the NHL’s $59.4 million cap next season.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User