Blaze rips through Tahoe home |

Blaze rips through Tahoe home

Michael Schneider

A heater in a Glenwood Avenue residence is apparently to blame for a fire that caused about $35,000 in damage to the house Sunday. No was injured.

At 2:13 p.m., the South Lake Tahoe Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 1415 Glenwood Ave. Nine firemen had put the blaze out by 2:55 p.m.

No one was home at the residence.

Two crews battled the fire until a third engine arrived at 2:45 p.m.

Fire Capt. Steve Lang said the third engine was needed to overpower the flames.

Firemen used a chain saw to cut open a large portion of the roof and douse the flames which had been shooting out for a short time.

Other firemen attacked the fire from inside the house.

Lang said entering the garage, near to the fire area, was a problem. Because the home had automatic garage doors, firemen had to beat the top the door open to activate the electronic opener.

By the time crews were able to get at the fire, Lang said it had spread into the attic.

Lang and Capt. Bob Hoy, whose crew first responded to the scene, said the damage estimate was only preliminary as they had yet to assess the damage from inside. Smoke damage may raise the figure.

Tahoe Daily Tribune E-mail:

Visitors Guide | News | Diversions | Marketplace | Weather | Community

Copyright, Materials contained within this site may

not be used without permission.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.