Builder hopes to ease concerns over Nevada motocross track
MINDEN, Nev. (AP) – A Carson Valley man who wants to build a motocross track on public land near here is trying to ease homeowners’ concerns about the project.
Ken Smith and Bureau of Land Management officials will conduct a public walk-through of the site tonight in the hills east of Johnson Lane.
”We’re hoping that the people who object to this the most will see that it is far enough back away from homes, and that the hills really do stop a lot of the noise,” Smith told the Record-Courier.
About 80 residents voiced differing opinions on the project at a three-hour meeting held by the BLM last week.
Smith and partner Dave Schilts are seeking a permit to build Sunrise Motorcross Park on BLM land. They hope to begin work on the 1.5-mile track this summer.
Joe Strolin criticized the proposal, saying it would subject nearby homeowners to noise and dust.
”What is the rationale? I mean, I have no problems with a facility itself, but why put it in the backyards of all of these people?” he asked.
But Perry Sparks supports the project.
”I don’t know if there will be that much noise. Probably not any more than what’s out there already,” he said. ”It will probably be fine and maybe it will be unnoticed. Let’s at least give this a shot.”
BLM officials have said the site already is used by motorcyclists, and the project is designed to provide more organized control of public land that’s prone to widespread littering and abuse.
Smith expects the track to draw 30 to 50 riders on weekends. He and Schilts already have scaled back the project in response to homeowners’ concerns.
”We will encourage riders to use the track,” Smith said. ”It’s in an area where there is a shield away from noise, so we don’t anticipate any more noise from the area than what people already are used to now.”
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California lifted regional stay-at-home orders across the state Monday in response to improving coronavirus conditions, returning the state to a system of county-by-county restrictions, state health officials announced.