Bulldozer tumbles 150 feet onto highway | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Bulldozer tumbles 150 feet onto highway

Dan Thrift/Tahoe Daily Tribune John Heizer writes a report after the bulldozer he was using fell about 150 feet off a cliff on Monday afternoon. The mishap forced the eastbound lane of Highway 50 to close for more than two hours. Heizer was unhurt after he jumped off the dozer before it fell.

Driver dives off, no vehicles hit

By William Ferchland

Tribune staff writer

A bulldozer clearing a fire trail on top of Cave Rock fell Monday afternoon after a reported loading malfunction, blocking eastbound traffic on Highway 50 with its crumpled remains.

The driver, John Heizer, escaped from the 12-ton machine and avoided major injuries except some scrapes and a sore backside.

“It started to roll back,” Heizer, who estimated the tractor fell 150 feet, said. “There was only one thing I could do: eject.”

The explosives contractor, who spent time in the Air Force, used his military instincts to avoid danger.

“Don’t hesitate in the line of fire,” he said.

South Lake Tahoe resident Shauna Trim, 26, was one of the first on scene. Trim, who was in a 1990 Toyota 4-Runner with her husband and baby while driving back from a shopping trip in Carson City, said a cloud of smoke and dirt met her while in the Cave Rock tunnel.

“When we were coming out we slammed on the brakes and we could see the tractor right there,” Trim said.

The machine lost a wheel and was smoking, she said.

“It looked like it might explode,” Trim said.

A flatbed truck was summoned from Carson City to help remove the damaged dozer.

This was the second large construction accident in the area in five days. On Thursday, a drilling rig slipped and crashed into a house after pavement caved under it near Zephyr Cove. The removal of the rig on Friday closed Highway 50 for 15 hours. No one was injured.

Heizer thanked the authorities involved for helping to steer traffic and take control of Monday’s accident. The eastbound lane of the highway was closed for about two hours.

“Unfortunately it happened and thank God nobody got hurt,” he said.

– E-mail William Ferchland at wferchland@tahoedailytribune.com

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User