Candle starts blaze | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Candle starts blaze

Flames from a fallen candle burst panes of a bay window Thursday night, but did little else to a single-story home at 1180 Apache St.

Lake Valley Fire Department Battalion Chief Brian Eakin said he suspects the blaze began when a candle burning on the window sill fell over.

A resident in the house identified by neighbors as Kathy Barker, “suffered from very minor smoke inhalation, but it was enough to warrant a trip to the hospital,” Eakin said.



Firefighters found Barker sleeping on a couch next to the burning room.

“The smoke was just beginning to billow down from the ceiling when we arrived,” Eakin said.




He estimated that the fire had been burning for 20 minutes before firefighters arrived.

Eakin said the damage to the home was “nearly insignificant,” but firefighters covered the shattered windows and ventilated the house to rid it of smoke.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User