Candles carry potential for catastrophe | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Candles carry potential for catastrophe

With home candle fires on the rise and December the month when most of them occur, public safety officials are urging residents to make candle safety a priority this holiday season.

In 1998, the latest year for which data is available, candles in homes caused more than 12,500 fires, reaching a 19-year high, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Those fires resulted in 155 deaths, 1,100 injuries and $176.1 million in direct property damage, according to the association.

The association reports twice as many candle fires occur in December than any other time of year. The leading cause is unattended, abandoned or inadequately controlled candles.



“Candle safety is important year-round, but becomes especially important during the holidays when the warm, cozy glow of candles is a tradition for many,” said Larry Williams, safety education specialist for Country Insurance and Financial Services. “A raging inferno caused by candle carelessness can do more than merely dampen the holiday spirit.”

To prevent candle fires:




n Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.

n Keep candles away from items that can catch fire, such as clothing, books, paper, curtains, Christmas trees, flammable decorations.

n Use sturdy candle holders that won’t tip over easily and are large enough to collect dripping wax.

n Place candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface. Do not place candles where they can be knocked over by children or pets, or near blinds and curtains that can close over them.

n Keep candlewicks trimmed to one-quarter inch and extinguish taper and pillar candles when they burn within two inches of the holder.

n Avoid candles embedded with combustible items such as leaves, flowers and twigs.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User