Carbon monoxide poisoning likely cause of man’s death | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Carbon monoxide poisoning likely cause of man’s death

Sierra Countis

TRUCKEE – Carbon monoxide poisoning is a possible cause of the death of a 50-year-old man who was discovered at his Coachland mobile home Tuesday afternoon, pending an ongoing investigation by the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office.

There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the man’s death, whose name is not being released until next of kin has been notified, said Truckee Police Sgt. Ted Bier.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Frank Koehler said the autopsy report results, in the current investigation of the incident, will determine the cause of death.

“It would appear to be an accidental death due to carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Koehler, after finding a propane gas space heater inside the man’s home.

When the man didn’t show up at work on Monday, one of his co-workers went to his mobile home Tuesday afternoon and peeked in the window to see if he was there, Koehler said. He said the co-worker saw the man in the living room, entered the home through the front door and found him unresponsive. The co-worker left the man’s home, called their employer, who then contacted police, Koehler said.

At 12:35 p.m. police officers arrived at the man’s home but refrained from entering the residence due to the smell of propane gas coming from the inside the house, according to police reports.

Truckee Fire Protection District arrived on scene to vent the gas from the home and discovered the man dead in the living room, said Koehler.

Koehler said he estimated the man had died within the last 6 to 12 hours. He said the man lived alone.

“There were extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in the residence,” Koehler said.

No windows were open to allow for proper ventilation within the residence, he said. The propane space heaters are typically used while working outdoors since the “subsequent exhaust and fumes can overwhelm you” inside a house, Koehler said.


Support Local Journalism

Your support means a better informed community. Donate today.


News


See more